So I will now try and explain why out of the 30 remaining people in my year (out of 60) that don't have co-ops, I am one of them. I started out the quarter with pretty high expectations. I felt like my portfolio was strong enough to apply to some difficult consultancies and pretty high end complanies like Phillips. Although my co-op advisor says I made the right move, it seems like I aimed too high and didn't really get a heads up on that until it was too late. 3 out of my 6 companies that I initially applied to aren't taking co-ops this quarter because of the economy and the remainder were taken by upperclassmen. My advisor didn't really make it clear to me that sophomores usually get toy and packaging jobs. So while everyone was applying to places like Hasbro, Fischer Price, and Spinmaster, I was left still hoping that my co-ops would pan out. I was kind of stupid and should have realized earlier that this wasn't gonna fly and now its probably too late. I made a last minute attempt to send my stuff to Hasbro and it was too late, and then I interviewed with a pool furniture company called Swimways. Swimways was probably the most downer moment of the quarter for me. Out of the 14 people that interviewed they wound up narrowing it down to 5 people, and I wasn't in the top 5. The most difficult thing is that I don't really know where I went wrong with Swimways. You guys know I'm pretty humble and realistic when it comes to my skills, and I'm not being cocky or anything when I say that my portfolio was near the top out of the 15 so I just don't know.
This quarter has by far been the most difficult time for me in a while. I've put more time then I ever thought I would in only my sophomore year. This may seem like nothing to you guys, but for me, pulling 2 all nighters a week for an entire quarter has really worn me out, and for there to be no pay-off at the end, its just really been dragging me down. I know that if I keep working hard that good things will happen, its just an obstacle that I'm gonna have to overcome. I'm not gonna lie, I was really hoping to impress you guys with some sweet and flashy co-op and its pretty embarassing to have to admit failure. Even though I've been told that its almost entirely the economy, I know alot of the blame also falls on me. If I've learned anything its that you should always try to depend solely on yourslef when determining your future. I'm always going to be ambitious (this whole situation just really makes me want to get better), but next co-op quarter (spring) i'll go into it with the knowledge that I didn't have this time and hopefuly come out of it better.
-tony

Im really sorry to hear that tony. Just remember that as long as you did the best you could, theres nothing else you could have done. I know alot of the time, especially for us, we feel like we never did the best we could and that we can always do better, but i think it would be good to step back and look at the big picture. Times are rough, and just think that at least for CIA, 5 years ago it was nearly impossible for any sophomores to get internships, so for you to be applying for one in itself is an accomplishment. It may not feel like it right now because of your surroundings, but you are within the best student designers in the country. Im not sure exactly how your schedule runs, but is there any possibility of getting a summer internship? I know theres plenty of time to apply for those.
ReplyDeleteThis semester has been rough for me as well, not work wise but socially. Many sleepless nights this semester on account of stupid girls and really shitty roomates. All is behind me now and I think this spring break will help in making sure i come back refreshed and with my best foot forward to tackle this hard Little Tikes project. I think your spring break will also do you good.
Just keep truckin' brosef, you dont need to impress anyone but yourself. Its good that your aiming for the stars, I would do the same thing.
-Gabe
Gabe's right, you didn't fail and its not your fault you tried as hard as you could and you should be happy for that.
ReplyDeleteYou should see about interning somewhere in Miami. Check in with DASH and see if they have any hook ups at a furniture place or something.
If this makes you feel any better I have sent my portfolio to literally 31 design firms and have not had much luck at all. Most of them are not hiring interns because of the economy, Others just don't offer internships, and out of that 31 only about 5 or 6 are going to consider me.
Take andvantage of the time you'll have off to deuce up your folio and i'm sure by the time your back in school you'll have a nice leg up on the rest of your classmates.
Take care and don't be so hard-on yourself.
lots of LOVE, -Ed
Thanks for the support guys, you have no idea how it helps. Especially when I'm just surrounded by people how have jobs. I just emailed Ms. K to see about any internships. I think I'll have the initiative back home to watch tutorials and do my own projects (maybe more valuable then taking a co-op at a packaging company). Gabe, hope your spring break's going awesome man. Tan the thighhhhhhs. If I do stay home I'l be seeing at least some of you guys pretty soon, which is reason enough to be not so bumbed about this whole dealio
ReplyDeleteton-e
No worries tony, it is what it is, the only way to get anywhere in life i think fallen down and picken yourself back up. you will look back on this when your rollin in the g's for being the fuckin badass designer you are and you will think of these days as the best days of your life, the days when you learned the most developed who you are. chin up brosicle, you are just to good for those cheesy co-ops ; )
ReplyDeleteIan